Having beaten, hammered and cajoled the cabinet frame into its new home, I returned to my basement
lair workshop to begin fabrication on the doors. Normal people buy cabinet doors. They go to Home Depot or Lowes, they choose from the pretty selection, and they go home satisfied and stress-free. Lunatics sadists professional cabinet makers build their own. I am not a professional cabinet maker. I’m not even a hobbyist cabinet maker. I’m as green as a bullfrog and equally qualified when it comes to cabinetry. So of course I opted to build my own doors!
I had already cut the door frames from plywood, but they needed a groove cut into the inner sides. This would eventually hold the door panel – a piece of 1/4″ plywood. Oh, and they also needed a tongue to fit in the groove. Tongue and groove. Sounds simple, doesn’t it?
See the grooves? See the tongues?
This took far longer than it should have. After trying nearly every machine in the shop, I settled on routing out the grooves and using the table saw to cut the tongues. This may seem obvious, but I started with equally obvious ideas – like using a dado to cut the grooves. It worked, in a way. But in a much more important way – the way of looking like crap, it failed. I don’t know why I had such dado woes, but I chalked it up as “user stupidity” and tossed the dado blades aside. There are no pictures of these taxing minutes and hours. You see the camera only emerged when I figured out just what on earth I was doing.
It all fit together, so I slapped on some glue and clamped it up before it had a chance to change its mind.
Repeated the process with the second door, and ended up with two very rudimentary doors. I really can’t stress to you enough how much work and despair and grief went into these two simple frames housing a thin yellow panel. To make beautiful doors – the kind with fancy routed panels takes a skill that must be paid for in blood and soul-sacrifice.
The next job was prime and paint, followed by hardware installation. The handles went on without incident…
…but when hinge time rolled around, things got a little wonky. To start, I measured wrong and drilled the holes in the wrong places.
I could live with that, so onward and upward. But then, as I was drilling the new holes, I punched the drill bit all the way through. Through the front. The part people look at. At this point I wanted to Hulk Smash everything in sight, but this wasn’t my first time in the screw-up rodeo, so I dusted off my fail chaps and got busy with the wood filler. Then I made time with the sandpaper. Then I got reacquainted with the paint.
Then all was well.
Next up: The Counter Top
CONTINUE ON TO>>