After I finished building the countertop, it was time to construct the hutch. Handan wanted movable shelves, so I first drilled shelf pin holes in the hutch side boards with the KREG Shelf Pin Jig. This is a must-have item if you plan on building movable shelves.
Next I attached the top to the sides with countersunk deck screws.
In the background of the lower picture, you’ll notice the face frame for the hutch. I didn’t take pictures of that process, but it was identical to the process of building the cabinet face frame in Part 2. I then attached the plywood back with glue and brad nails.
Now the face frame, attached with glue and brad nails.
I inserted the plywood shelves to check for fit.
Then added a facing to the shelves so that they would have the same look and weight as the rest of the hutch. Can you guess how? Yep. Glue and brad nails. It’s the breakfast of champions.
With the hutch carcass built, it was time to move on to the trim. Using 1/4″ plywood, I made some pieces for the side. These are purely decorative. Oh yeah, glue and brad nails!
The last thing to do before painting was to install the crown molding. Sounds easy, but it was an outright bitch. I highly recommend that anyone attempting a crown molding job first gets a crown molding jig for their radial arm saw. I cut the pieces without the jig, and had to re-cut several times before I got an acceptable fit. The slightest error in the cut results in a hideous joint. My dogs whimpered and cried at my initial efforts. But, smart guy that I [think I] am, I bought much more molding than I actually needed, because I figured I’d repeatedly screw it up. Anyway, several nailings and pryings and renailings later, I ended up with a decent result.
Next I primed and painted. While the paint dried, I installed the countertop. It was pretty straightforward. The fit was snug, but I secured it from the underside with a few wood screws just to be safe.
When the hutch was dry, I lugged it up from the basement for installation. It was here that I also installed the doors. Though I wrote about the doors in Part 3, I didn’t actually install them early. They went on when they whole thing was assembled.
Pretty close to the Sketchup plan!
I caulked all the edges and let Handan at it. Linens went in the cabinet and doodads adorned the shelves. What a great change from the boring nook!
I began Part 1 of this series by quoting Aristotle. I will close the tale by doing so again.
“Change in all things is sweet.”
And in this house, that’s a river of sweet.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy these.