After making the replacement sconces in Part 1, I wanted to make something a little different for the second pair. I had some poplar scraps lying around, so I decided to use those, since this pair would be painted (poplar doesn’t take stain well). I forgot to take pictures of the scraps I used, but here is a picture of similar scraps that Handan used for an upcoming project. In fact, the circular piece of scrap wood I used for the overhang piece was a scrap from Handan’s project.
I cut the disc in half, sanded down past the center hole and filled in the other holes and imperfections with wood filler.
I cut the two poplar boards to size and routed the edges with an ogee bit.
I decided to affix the overhang to the sconce with glue and screws. To do this, I would drill pilot holes in both the semi-circles and in the sconce board. I marked up the centers.
After drilling the pilot holes, I used a countersink bit on the back of the sconces where the screw heads would be.
I turned the screws until the tips were just sticking out the front side. This would help me line up the overhang.
I applied glue to the overhang and screwed it in.
When the glue dried, I painted the sconces an off-white color.
Normally I would use Handan’s incredibly awesome homemade chalky paint (recipe here), but I’m all angles and elbows when it comes to making that stuff, and since she wasn’t around, store-bought paint from our basement stock it was.
After the paint had dried, it was once again time for Handan’s help to turn a couple of snooze-inducing white planks into something eye-catching and interesting. She used birds nests that she bought for about $1 each and battery-powered tea lights that she decoupaged with sheet music.
Here’s a quick pictorial of some of her work.
She nailed it! These sconces turned out way better than I thought they would, thanks completely to Handan’s work.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy these.