If you follow us on our Facebook page, you probably know Greg’s Wednesday posts: “Did you know?” Every Wednesday, he picks a subject and posts an interesting fact about it on our Facebook page. They are pretty entertaining I have to say, and since we don’t post on Facebook every day, it is a great way to keep in touch with our readers.
Last week after publishing his latest “Did you know?” he attempted to tidy the overflow of my knick-knacks in our basement while I was at work. This coincided with me e-mailing him the listing of the weekend tag sales that I wanted to go to. Reading my e-mail and seeing no point in tidying anything, he sent me this response:
“Did you know? If you picked one thing each day from our basement for your projects, in 2 years you’d still have another year’s worth of projects.“
Hahaha… I love him so much, because at any given time, he can make me burst into laughter!
As he had a point, I decided to lessen my hoard and picked this silverware box from our basement as my next project.
I bought it 2 years ago at a tag sale for a couple of dollars. It had some scratches here and there, and the lining was peeling off.
The plan was to turn it into a simple box that I can use as a storage for mail or other knick-knacks, so first I took off the lining.
This was the most tedious part of this project since the lining was holding strong at certain places, so I enlisted the help of my paint scraper and little razor. Once the liner was entirely off, I sanded inside with my sander to flatten the raised areas caused by old glue. Then I cleaned the box to ready it for paint.
I usually use my Black & Decker hand held vacuum cleaner to clean inside the boxes or drawers, then I wipe with a damp cheesecloth. This eases my job with getting rid of the dust in the corners, besides it takes me no time to be finished with pre-paint cleaning.
Now it was ready for painting. I decided to go with a color different than white this time, so I mixed up some blues I had on hand and some white, and came up with my own color: I named it “Aegean Sea.” As I couldn’t remember the proportions to make this color once again, I got it color matched at Home Depot and below is the picture of that color code if you would like to use it.
I prepared my homemade chalk paint in Aegean Sea color and started painting. I gave 2 coats of paint to the box, in and out, giving enough time for the paint to dry between the coats.
With furniture projects, I prefer using a paint sprayer, but with small projects like this, I prefer brush painting as it is faster. Nowadays I use Zibra paint brushes every time I brush paint, because I like the way they fit my hand and also they tend to leave the least amount of brush marks compared to other good brands I used till now.
After painting the box, to give its plain looks a little excitement, I decided to stencil it and put a knob on the top. The small glass knob I found in my stash was the perfect size for the job, but it didn’t have a base, so I decided to use circular metal filigree/embellishment as the base. I bought these filigrees from Amazon some time ago to use on several projects. They come in a pack of 30, so it is a good deal for the price. I picked a bunch and sprayed them with clear protective coat.
While waiting for the clear coat to dry, I worked on the stencil I that found on Silhoutte’s website. It is a nice pattern but I had to tweak it a little to have a circle right in the middle. Once the stencil design was to my liking, using my Silhouette Cameo I cut the stencil on re-positionable adhesive backed vinyl. I placed the stencil on top of the box with the help of transfer tape and stenciled the pattern with my homemade chalk paint in a custom color match to Old White color.
I waited for the stencil to dry, then I started lightly distressing the box (including the stenciled area) with 220 sandpaper. Then I smoothed all the surfaces with 320 sandpaper, and the box was ready to be waxed.
This is where I again changed my plan and decided to do the same stencil also inside the box. It is because of the knob’s screw… I just didn’t want an ugly screw showing inside the box, so I placed the same pattern right in the same spot but this time inside box.
After stenciling, I again slightly distressed the stencil, then I waxed the entire box (apart from the area where I was planning to line with fabric) with Annie Sloan’s clear wax.
Once waxing and buffing were finished, it was time to put on the knob, so I placed a metal filigree on both sides then the knob’s screw to the inner side of the box, then the knob to the outer side of the box. To hide the screw even better I glued a tiny half pearl to the back of the screw.
As the final finish, using Mod Podge I lined the inside of the box with a light color velvety fabric I had on hand.
Here is my updated box.
Seeing how lovely it turned out, I am so glad I kept changing my plan throughout the way.
I love how these filigrees brought a touch of elegance to an otherwise a plain box.
As usual, some close-up pictures…
I am still not sure how I will be using this box, but with the soft lining, I know it can make a great home for jewelry.
If you are you wondering what I did with the rest of the filigrees, click here to see where I used them.
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy these.