I had glued together some other scraps for the top, since I didn’t have any more of the red ones. After measuring the length and width of the top of the box, I trimmed the top piece to fit.
I applied a bead of glue around the top rim of the box. Wait a minute!
That beard again! Gah!
Anyway, I seated the top and secured it with brad nails.
I never met a corner I didn’t want to round.
And that was it for box number one. For the second, larger box, I found the old green doorish thing I mentioned earlier. I had bought it thinking that we could make a cool vintage sign out of it (this was back in the days before The Navage Patch). But one day I got the notion in my walnut brain that I would bust out some chalk paint and a brush and freehand a “vintage” laundry sign for our laundry room. Handan was less than overwhelmed by my artistry, and the sign spent the next two years collecting even more dust. Here was the photo I sent to her on Skype after I completed my misbegotten masterpiece.
The indifference was deafening.
But it would live again! I sanded off as much of the lettering as I could without also sanding through the green. Then I dismantled the boards and cut them into strips thin enough to resaw. Once I had run them all through the band saw, I had enough wood for a large box, including the top. I didn’t take any pictures of building the big box, but it was identical to the process of making the small one. Once both boxes were completed, it was time to turn the project over to Handan, so she could dry brush the small one and make metal bows and ribbons for both.
To dry brush, she first dipped her brush into some of her chalk paint then wiped off as much as she could.
She then dry-brushed the small box, leaving the red boards untouched.
To make the ribbons and bow for the small box, Handan used the same metal strapping that she used for her Outdoor Metal Pumpkins. She measured and cut strips for the pieces that would wrap around the sides of the box and for the pieces that would make up the bow. She drilled holes with the step drill bit large enough to accommodate a bolt in the pieces (more on that in a bit) then spray painted them glossy red.
Here are the wrap-around ribbons and the bow-ends in their place. You can see that the holes all meet in the center of the box.
For the bow, she cut four pieces of strapping and drilled them on each end. She wrapped them over on themselves so their holes were lined up, then placed them on the box. She inserted the bolt through all of the holes and secured it with a nut on the underside of the box top.
The small box was finished, and it was time for her to make ribbons and bows for the large box. The strapping she used for the small box would have been too thin for the large box, so she used some aluminum lawn edging that she got at a tag sale instead. This stuff is vintage – they don’t make it anymore! She got two rolls for $1.
What a bargain, because now they make it out of plastic, and it sells for $15 per roll. What a colossal rip off! But Handan also found 4 inch roof flashing which would work just like the metal strapping.
Starting from the bottom of one side, she wrapped the edging around and back underneath the opposite side. She did this for both opposing sides.
She put the two pieces aside to be painted.
She forked the bow-ends with a pair of scissors.
Then she cut pieces for the bow and took everything outside to be spray-painted. When the paint was dry, she attached the pieces of ribbon and bow with small nails. She held the nails in place with needle-nose pliers while she hammered.
With my help, she hammered the bow pieces through the middle and then bent them into their final shape.
She did a quick touch up on the nail heads, and our DiY Outdoor Christmas Gifts were ready for the limelight!
Not a bad result for almost no expenditure. Here are the rest of the pictures presented without comment.
We love it when you share our posts on Facebook and Pinterest!