I can’t believe it’s October already! It’s the one time of the year that I get goosebumps just walking out of the bedroom each morning. Hahaha…I know, right? I’m the one who starts planning our Halloween props when the clock strikes midnight on January 1st, and I’m the one who makes these Halloween props, so I should be fine with them, right? But the thing is, it is the Creepmaster and his Minion (aka Greg and Barish) who actually decorate and stage the house for Halloween. And they do it in such a way that I can’t even recognize my own Halloween props – no kidding! Ok, I shouldn’t really be giving any spoilers about this project, but you’ll see what I mean with “my own props give me the goosebumps” when you see the beauty shots of our Ringu Girl. All I can say is that it’s not gory or scary, but it is a bit creepy, if the word fits, since it is inspired by the famous Japanese horror movie, Ringu. 😉 Anyway… Let’s get on with the tutorial, and you can see what I mean 🙂
For our Ringu Girl I used:
- A faceless styrofoam head – You may try it with a normal foam head, but please note, the faceless foam head is what makes the ringu girl prop really creepy.
- Black paint.
- Dark Burgundy color paint – I mixed mine from all different dark reds and browns.
- Paint brushes.
- Hot glue.
- Duct tape.
- 2 or 4 Dollar Store hair
- Foam – If you don’t have foam, you can also create the same thing with some chicken wire, or some cardboard and black contractor trash bags. More on this in the tutorial.
- Scrap wood or plastic pipes to create the body.
- Girls Princess Costume from a thrift store – As we get closer to Halloween all the thrift stores generally start bringing in these beautiful princess dresses for affordable prices. We bought ours for 4 dollars (it was originally 8 dollars, but we got it during a 50% off sale.)
Now that we got the materials list out of the way, let’s get on with our tutorial. I painted the back half of the faceless Styrofoam head with black paint.
Once the black paint dried, I painted the front-half of the faceless Styrofoam head with dark burgundy color which I achieved by mixing burnt sienna, dark brown and some burgundy craft paint. After I finished painting the Styrofoam head, I left it aside for the paint to dry.
Next, I asked Greg to build a base for the body. He cut an old fence post about 2-3 inches shorter than the dress’s height. Then, using scrap wood and a brad nailer, he made a stand for the fence post.
As an alternative to a wooden base for the body, you can build a base for the body using plastic pipes as shown in the schema below.
After Greg built me the stand for the body, I started working on creating the torso. I had some leftover upholstery foam from Greg’s wine bar project. None of the pieces were big enough to use for anything else. so I used them to create the torso.
I first put some glue on the two opposite sides of the wood and placed the foam pieces on the glued surface, making sure I had about 2 inches of foam above the top of the post. Then, I duct taped the bottom part, which was going to act as the waist of the body. Then, as shown in the pictures below, I clamped the top part for the foam pieces so they would adhere to the wood much better.
After about an hour, I took the clamp off and duct taped the foam in such a way as to create that triangle torso shape. If you don’t have foam on hand, then you can create the same shape with cardboard. To make it suitable for outdoors, you can put a contractor bag over the cardboard torso and whole thing should be good to put outdoors. 😉
Next, I hot glued the head on top of the post.
Click on ‘Page 2 of 2’ below to continue.