I drilled the holes for the wires…
Pro tip: wear safety glasses when drilling. Don’t be a doofus like Captain Pencil Head shown above and below. Especially when drilling above your head.
As it turns out, flying sawdust didn’t soothe my eyeballs like I thought it would.
We needed to fish the wire that we would stick up from the ceiling out the back.
Turns out this wasn’t very easy with just a tiny hole to work with. So I did what any sensible antique restorer would do: I grabbed a reciprocating saw and tore a huge freaking hole in the back.
Antique purists may want to avert their eyes.
Yeah, yeah, I know. I KNOW!
Listen, it’s our antique, and we’ll treat it any way we damn well please.
Besides, I’ll patch things up later. I promise.
After snaking the wires up and out, we attached the lights with double-sided tape.
We moved the cabinet back inside the house. We were getting close to the end. But we still had to install the hinges.
I had ordered two sizes, unsure of which would fit.
With the weight of the door, I was leaning towards the big ones. Of course, if I had paid more attention to detail, I would have realized that the big ones were way too big for the cabinet. There’s only a small strip of wood on the sides on which to mount hinges. Okay, the small ones, it was!
Although they were billed as “flat lay,” the center pin prevented them from truly laying flat. Handan solved that issue by suggesting I make shims to go behind the hinges. Brilliant!
I drilled holes though the shims and super-glued them onto the hinges. That solved the problem, and we mounted the doors.
The hinges we bought have removable pins, so the hardware could stay on the cabinet and the door when we removed them to install the glass. We just pulled the pins, and I took the doors back down to the basement to install the glass and the inner trim.
When the glue dried, we taped off the glass and the door frame so I could gel stain the trim.
Handan made me smile. Usually, I prefer to work with a slight sneer and a scowl 🙂
As promised, we patched up the holes in the back.
Next, we installed the doorknobs, which we also bought from House of Antique Hardware.
I drilled the knob hole with a piece of scrap wood underneath. This not only allowed me to drill all the way through without damaging the table, but it also prevented tear-out on the opposite side of the door.
Once the knob hole was drilled, we installed a magnetic door catch on each side of the middle partition.
And we installed the metal plate onto the inside of the doors.
I finished installing the knobs. We were so close to finishing!
Click on ‘Next’ to continue.