Handan helped me carry it upstairs, where she would paint it with a roller. We got very good quality paint color matched to the IKEA bookcases. Here is Handan cleaning off my sawdust and spackle dust (I tried to clean it, but no matter how much I clean, Handan will always find a mess and clean it even better).
I had to go out while Handan was painting, so I don’t have any pics of that process, but I’m sure you can picture it in your head. When she finished, I realized that I had forgotten to install the three countertop screw pieces. Ooops. Fortunately, they were easy to install, and they wouldn’t be seen anyway.
I carried the console to its new home and then headed back to my basement lair to begin work on the doors. I cut the pieces from 1 x 3 lumber.
Since I would be fitting the doors with custom-cut glass panels, I needed to route a recessed edge on each piece. This would house the window pane.
I set up my routing table to route a recess 3/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch deep.
Next, I drilled pocket holes and assembled the four doors.
For the muntins, I used 5/8 inch square dowels. I cut the pieces to the sizes I needed.
To make the cross, I had to cut dadoes into the muntins. I first marked the middle of each piece.
From that mark, I measured 5/16 inch in both directions and marked.
Over at my table saw, I set up stop blocks that would allow the muntin piece to travel back and forth on the sled a distance of 5/8 inch. I then set the blade height to 5/16 inch.
I cut the dado by running the piece through, moving it over about 1/8 inch, running it through again, moving it over about 1/8 inch and repeating these steps until I had a clean dado.
I joined the pieces to make four crosses and then tapped them into place.
I used small nails to secure the muntins.
Since I was working at an angle, I couldn’t figure out a way of fully hammering the nail in without beating the hell out of the pine frame. My solution was to grind down the nail heads with a Dremel. I’m sure there’s a better way.
Click on ‘Next’ to continue.