With the base pieces all cut and assembled, I next built the frame on which I would lay the cedar table planks. I used pressure treated 2x4s and a 2×6 for the center support.
I used my Kreg Jig and 2 1/2 inch screws to build the table frame.
The easy stuff was built. It was time for the herringbone cedar table top. I’d been dragging my feet on this part. There was so much room for error!
I started by laying the center cross pieces.
And then I started cutting and laying the cedar planks for the herringbone top of my DIY farmhouse table. The diagram below shows the lower left quadrant of the table.
I made a 1/8 inch spacer stick so the boards would have room to expand and contract. It would also help with drainage.
Here I am striking a dramatic pose while playing with my spacer stick. It’s important to always look super serious when woodworking, otherwise people will think you’re selling something. By the way, you should totally buy this thing here.
This bit was hard! I had to make a few trips back-and-forth to the table saw.
Eventually, I cut and fit all the cedar for the herringbone top. I stacked them up and removed them so Handan and I could stain everything before final assembly of our farmhouse table.
We used Varathane Kona – one of the best stain colors out there! Staining over wet pressure-treated pine was no problem at all. So the next time some snapperhead tells you that you can’t stain wet pressure-treated, you can give them a firm whap upside the head with a rolled-up printout of this blog post.
We stained the whole trestle table with Varathane Kona, including the cedar.
When all was dry, we lugged the pieces up to the garage. Man, they were heavy!
With Handan’s help, I assembled the full base.
When everything was secured together, I put a couple of screws in the lower support rail, and the base was finished.
Handan and I then placed the pressure-treated frame onto the base and screwed it in.
Man, I was busy screwin’ and sweatin’
What? We built it in the garage during a humid heat wave! Just be thankful I cropped my glistening torso out of these pics!
And then it was time to lay the table top.
The moment of truth.
I placed the first board and measured for the screw holes. My original plan was to screw the table on from underneath, but that would have been a huge pain in the butt.
Simple Stupid demanded that I screw from the top. Handan agreed.
I used 1 5/8 inch screws for the table top.
On and on I went placing board after board.
When I finished, I trimmed the edges with a circular saw and then attached the mitered trim pieces.
Now, you may be asking yourself why that sander is on the table. Good question. Let me explain.
First off, on a build like this, using rather crude lumber like pressure-treated pine, there was no way that everything was going to end up all nice and square and flat and flush. There were spots where the table needed to be sanded down, especially around the edges. Of course, doing that would remove the stain we already applied, but that was okay because I wanted to change it anyway!
I thought the top looked a little boring, and I wanted to give it a little razzle dazzle by using the same wood aging technique I used for the weathered wood carboy crate.
Click on ‘Next’ to continue.