First things first: I lied.
Well, not so much an outright lie, but a lie of omission.
And it’s really less of a lie than it is a fib.
A little fib. A harmless fib.
Because here’s the thing – I told you in our Laundry Room Remodel Plan post that I had painted the walls already.
Well, that’s not a lie – you can clearly see they are painted.
But what I didn’t tell you…what I omitted…was that the laundry chute makeover was already done.
(Otherwise, why would I bother painting the walls first?)
I just wanted to clear the air, in case any of you Astute Astrids, Detail Debbies and Noticing Nancies notice that the walls are still yellow in the process photographs. How could that be if we only just started the laundry chute makeover, yet I already told you I painted the walls?
The resulting scandal would be entirely too…well, scandalous! Tongues would wag, madam! Tongues would wag!
And since I’ve now lashed myself to the Altar of Truth, I may as well ‘fess up once more.
I had help. Professional help.
I’ve done my fair share of drywall installation in the past few years, but it remains my least favorite DIY activity. So when our tile guys were here putting the finishing touches on the kitchen, we hired them to drywall the old-door hole, inside the chute and out.
(I really don’t like drywalling.)
Besides, I have a totally legit excuse! At that time, I was totally busy building the dog feeding station/beverage bar/seasonal display area. You know, this one:
I already showed you how I built the Floating Shelves, and soon I’ll show you how I built the rest.
So to sum up: I’m a Little Fibber, but I’m also well-stocked with totally legit excuses!
Before we go any further, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Pinterest, MeWe, Facebook, and Instagram, and click the subscribe button at the top of this page to sign up for our email list so you’ll never miss a post!
Another thing – the laundry chute is in a tight corner, and it’s not the easiest place to get a decent photo, so cut me some slack in the photography department, will ya?
Good. Now let’s a have a look!
Remember, this is more or less how we started:
I’m not the most experienced Suds Buddy, but I can’t imagine this is the most efficient design for a laundry chute.
The inside looked just like that of a closet – namely there was a small space and the same linoleum floor. So all of Handan’s smelly socks and all of my rose-scented unmentionables ended up in a big, commingled pile on the floor.
The floor, madam.
What good is this monstrosity of laundry chute if I’m still bending over and snapping my Calvin Kleins towards the washing machine like an NFL center?
At my age, I’m actively looking to minimize the time spent bending over.
On a side (but related) note: do you remember what age you were when tying a shoe became a strenuous activity?
Anyway, I’d rather carry a full hamper downstairs instead of bending over and pawing through a big, stinky pile like a dog digging for bones in the yard.
So the plan was to move the door around the corner and put in a shelf. My back was feeling better already!
Here’s the inside of the laundry chute. As you can see it is about the same size as a mid-range Manhattan apartment. I briefly considered renting it out to a Millenial or two, but I wasn’t sure if they’d be okay with the persistent rain of socks and underwear.
Progress. Look at all that wall space we opened up!
If I thought the old door was narrow, the new opening made it look like the gates to Buckingham Palace.
We were constrained by the two existing studs, and unfortunately, there’s not a door sold in America for such a narrow opening.
Not a problem – it just meant I’d have to DIY one.
And since Handan wanted that shelf in there, we decided I’d be making two doors.
Here we are with the linoleum and baseboard removed. From here, I took over and built a plywood base – pretty much identical to the first shelf of a base cabinet. I then built a shelf about 3 feet up from the base. This would be the new dirty laundry depository.
I apologize for the lack of pictures. I was involved in the work, and Handan was on a non-stop parade of Zoom meetings that day.
After building the shelves, I turned my attention to the walls. I removed the wire shelf that came with the house, repaired any holes I found and then painted them with Sherwin Williams Bohemian Lace.
When I built the doors, Handan had some free time, so she was able catch some action shots.
I used primed 1×3 lumber to build the face frame around the new openings and the doors.
I routed the inner edges of the door pieces so I could insert a 1/4 inch MDF panel (not shown in the pictures below).
Once the doors were glued and brad nailed, I used my Kreg concealed hinge jig to cut holes for the hinges, and then I took them outside to paint.
Back inside, I used the same paint on the face frame.
I hung the doors without any hardware. Handan wanted a clean look, and I agree that it looks better that way.
And that was that for this little laundry chute makeover. This was the first step in our laundry room remodel, and it has opened up that back wall so we can put cabinets and a utility sink there.
Like I said earlier, it was tough to photograph this area, but you’ll get the gist. More pics to come as we make progress!
It’s a little tight with the door open, and I needed to have it open to get this picture. With the laundry room door closed, there’s plenty of room to maneuver.
Ahhh, now that pile of stinkies is at the perfect height to grab and chuck into a basket!
I use the two baskets stored below to sort whites and colors, and then I kick the baskets over towards the machines. It may not pass the Social Media Snobbery Test, but it sure works for me!
Stay tuned for the shelves I’m building. I’ll have that post out next week for you!