Every faux pine garland should have a short metal wire on each end. I picked my flattened garland from one end and inserted that metal wire part into the Styrofoam cone. I did this to have a strong starting point, as I was going to wrap and hot glue the garland around the cone.
Next, I started hot gluing the garland’s stem onto the Styrofoam cone.
Now here is a hint for you which might ease the hot gluing process: as my garland was very old, hot gluing it from its spine on a Styrofoam cone was not easy. It kept bending in such weird ways, as if it didn’t want to be glued to the cone. Hence, I had to keep pressing and waiting until the hot glue dried properly and held the garland in place. As I have very little patience for that kind of thing, right after the first “waiting for the hot glue to dry” period, I decided to use some wire staples.
I cut several small pieces from the floral wire and bent them in two to form staples.
While hot gluing the garland, these wire staples were keeping the garland’s stem in its place (as shown in the pictures below.)
With the pin solution, my hot gluing process went faster, and with only 4 rows, I finally reached the top of the Styrofoam cone. Since I wanted my tree to have a wider skirt and skinnier top part, I left greater spacing in between each row as the garland climbed up.
Once I was finished with hot gluing the garland, I started arranging the branches to cover the cone’s white parts and to make it look like the picture below. At the top I left a branch un-arranged, as I was going to use it to attach the curved top part to the tree.
For the curved top part, I hot glued a Dollar Store garland (a cheap single-line garland) around the floral wire and inserted it to the top of the tree. Then I wrapped the little branch (the one I left un-arranged, remember?) to secure the curved top part in its place.
Next, I started preparing the stand for the tree with Greg’s help. He cut a small round from a birch log and a 10 inch length from a pine branch. Then he drilled a shallow hole in the birch log and sharpened one end of the branch for easier penetration to the foam.
I hot glued the flat part of the branch into the log’s hole…
… and I hot glued some reindeer moss around the branch, just to add a bit more interest to the base. Then I pushed the foam (tree’s bottom) onto the branch, and that was it!
Before going into the beauty shots of the whimsical tabletop Christmas trees, I want to say that all the credit for the photos goes to Greg! Now I’ll stop yapping and leave you with the awesome pictures my babes took 🙂
Don’t forget to save this idea to Pinterest, so you can find it again later!